Thursday, April 20, 2006

Remembering to Be Sweet

I was really touched by this post from Crystal at Biblical Womanhood. She writes,

"During my quiet time this morning, after I had read God's Word and spent time in prayer, I was writing in my journal and contemplating what specific things I could do today to be a help meet to my husband....In thinking about practical ways I could be a blessing and help to ease Jesse's heavy burdens, the Lord put it upon my heart to do everything I can to bring joy into his life by smiling and seeking to make him smile."

Oh, how easy it is to get caught up in being busy and forget to love one another! I don't know about you, but my joyful, happy attitude can be the first thing to go when I feel hurried, stressed, or even just businesslike.

Wives, we must remember that our house is not a business that we run; it's a home we help create. Its ethos will be whatever we make it. In the South, we have a saying: "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." We can influence our households for the better just by being cheerful.

And I'm not even talking about how difficult it is to "act" joyful when we're not (that is, when we're exceptionally stressed, hormonal, etc.). I'm really just thinking about a normal day, when you're focused on getting dinner ready or getting the whites their whitest. God, please, please help me to switch that focus to the right thing--glorifying You, praising You, and tending to the happiness of my household--while still functioning and accomplishing with excellence those things that must be done.

The Proverbs 31 wife laughs, in addition to her many domestic accomplishments. Perhaps that is the best 'accomplishment' of all.

Proverbs 31:10-12, 25, 28-29
A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.

Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
'Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.'

Contributors