Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The first thing that pops into my mind...

...do you really want to know this stuff?

Apparently, Jenn does, because she tagged me with her Four Word Meme. I have to tell you what comes to my mind with these four words she's given me: encumbered, lofty, exaggerate, and bowel. Yep, bowel.

Encumbered: Is it just me, or when you hear or read certain words, do little pictures come into your mind that kind of illustrate that word? When I think of "encumbered," I think of a wizened man lugging a large, heavy sack up a hill, struggling under his load. I think of something attached to you that makes it hard to get around.

I think of this scripture:

Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Doesn't that sound easy? "Lay aside." I think we make it harder than God says it is...and He's always right. If he says I can lay down this sack of sin I'm lugging up the hill with me, then I can.

Lofty: again, a word picture in my mind. "Lofty" makes me think of high clouds--cirrus clouds. My goals are loftier than my execution or results, more often than not. I was talking to a good friend on the phone yesterday about her homeschooling. She was lamenting her tendency to "always want to finish what she starts" with her three boys! I laughed at her, because to me that seems like an admirable trait; I can't seem to finish anything I start. I should get some kind of award for how many things I've started and not finished. Yeah. Do I get a pass because I am almost in my third trimester and am working two jobs?

Exaggerate: I tend to be one of those people who speak very hyperbolically. To me, something was either "just the other day" or "a long time ago." Something that happened two months ago could be one or the other depending on my mood or intent.

This drives Ryan crazy, especially when I say, "I don't know; it was just the other day." That's what happens when a dreamy bookworm marries a software engineer, who must be precise and, well, the opposite of hyperbolic in order to survive in his work. He inevitably says, "Kristen, that was five months ago!" The truth is that he's lucky if I remember any details of anything at all, whether it occurred months or weeks ago. Pregnancy has only made this worse.

And now, the one you've been waiting for:

Bowel: This is actually a great word, and I could talk a good deal about my (or your) bowels. Hope you're not eating right now. I will endeavor to be as delicate as possible when I ruminate, how's that?

I have learned many things about bowels lately. May I share?

1. If Bowel ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
2. Your sweet Bowel is far less likely to be his usual chipper self when you're pregnant. You have to entertain your moody Bowel with lots of Kashi Autumn Wheat, double fiber bread, water, and orange juice. If that doesn't work, the naughty Bowel may be spa nk ed (sorry, don't want weirdos finding this site) with prunes. So far mine has been behaving itself. (Aren't you happy we're having this discussion?)
3. Bowels and probiotics get along FAMOUSLY. You will be amazed at their instant and loving rapport. I highly recommend getting some probiotics to teach your Bowel how to play nice.

I suppose that's enough Bowel rumination for today.

Any questions? What--you never want me to post again?? What did I say?

I don't usually tag people, but if you think this meme is fun, try your hand at knickers, salivate, weep, and aspire.

Contributors