Friday, June 24, 2005

Home, redux

And now for something completely different...

Miss O'Hara decries a new Supreme Court Ruling that, like her, I find unconscionable (though I am not surprised):

"The Supreme Court ruled yesterday that local governments may force property owners to sell out and make way for private economic development when officials decide it would benefit the public, even if the property is not blighted and the new project's success is not guaranteed" (Washington Post).

Translation: the government can take your land and your home. Miss O'Hara provides an apt quote from Hold the Mayo:

"You and I no longer own homes. We occupy them. We pay the bank every month for the privilege of living there as long as the government wants to let us."

While I am irritated at this news, and while I consider it unjust and a breach of citizens' constitutional rights--and while I do think the courts have tyrannical power in the United States RIGHT NOW--I take comfort that this is no new problem, and that our brothers and sisters faced seizure of property in the first centuries after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I consider this a "writing is on the wall" situation as I look to the future. Be encouraged as the days grow darker, and know that we are facing nothing, really, that our family in the Lord has not always faced. May the Lord help our faces to be set as flint.

Hebrews 10:32-35
But recall the former days when, after you were enlightened, you endured a hard struggle with sufferings, sometimes being publicly exposed to reproach and affliction, and sometimes being partners with those so treated. For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one. Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.

It's neat how this goes with my post below about my own homesickness. There truly is no home for us but Heaven. Maranatha!

Contributors