Friday, June 17, 2005

In the News

The tagline of this blog purports to discuss current events, so I should probably do that once in a while! One of the reasons I started blogging was to have some way to achieve catharsis; no one in my life really cares what's going on in the world, other than the little bits I tell them. It's enough for them to know 'oh, there was an earthquake today' or 'a woman was abducted right before her wedding!'--but the details, implications, and broader societal ramifications do not fascinate them like they do me.

SO, you guys are going to get the full benefit (chortle) of my ramblings on several things I've been reading and hearing about lately.

Terri:
I COULD. NOT. BELIEVE. IT. when I saw a headline about Terri's autopsy the other day. Stories like this were everywhere:

"An autopsy on Terri Schiavo backed her husband's contention that she was in a persistent vegetative state, finding that she had massive and irreversible brain damage and was blind, the medical examiner's office said Wednesday."

YES. We know she had massive brain damage...that's not the point. Never was. It didn't matter one whit if she never improved. She was a live human being who smiled at her mother and whose parents wanted to take care of their baby. Blind? Eh, not in the videos I saw, and not according to the testimony of witnesses I'd trust over doctors examining her after she'd been starved and dehydrated to death. Take this trash somewhere else, because I ain't buyin'.

What do they call that kind of argument in logic? A straw man?

Let's just say I've lived long enough on this earth to know Satan's fingerprints when I see them. Holly has similar thoughts on this topic.

MJ Trial:
Look, I am just a Southern gal, not a legal expert. But let me get this straight. Strange, freakish man/woman, who lives at a Disneylike ranch he named after a place where people never grow up, is found with sexual pictures and videos of children in his room, admits to sleeping with little boys and finds nothing wrong with that, and has already paid off at least one boy who accused him of molestation. Witnesses have seen him give alcohol to boys and shower with them!

But, clearly, they're all liars and this is an innocent man. Clearly.

Shades of OJ. And don't even get me started about THAT one.

Runaway Bride:
Proof that there is no shame left in the world. She's "selling her life story" now. I tried to run away when I was eight or nine years old...how much do you think I could get for that?

I'll probably think of more later...

Contributors