Saturday, March 19, 2005

So I Met Amy the Humble Today...

I'll give you a blow-by-blow, because heaven knows what SHE'LL write.

First, I will go ahead and confess something to you. You will probably never have occasion to be intimately acquainted with my punctuality, but I'm confessing nonetheless: I am freakishly early for things. Amy and I agreed to meet in Santa Barbara at 11 AM. When was I there?

Yep, 9 AM. So, I had a little while to look around. Praise God, it wasn't raining (just a little misty) at that time, and downtown Santa Barbara, I discovered, is absolutely beautiful. Like an idiot, I forgot my digital camera, so the only picture I have to share with you is the one Amy e-mailed me of us.

I don't know how she felt, but to me she immediately seemed like an old friend.

We met at a healthy-food restaurant, Sojourner Cafe, and sat there forever. Our server(s)probably hated our guts. Our waitress must have come back five times before we ordered our food. Amy or I would grimace apologetically and say, "Um, sorry, we're still not ready..."

I'm going to steal (I mean, um, borrow) an idea that we joked about while we were talking.

10 Things You Didn't Know about Me and Amy, Especially Amy:

1. Amy has the clearest green eyes you've ever seen. They look like the water in the Gulf.

2. She tried to take PICTURES of the MENU for Molly because dishes included tofu.

3. Did I mention I was two hours early?

4. Girlfriend is BOLD. She doesn't mind asking a stranger to take a picture, or an elderly lady if she wants to get in front of her in the Rite Aid line, or the Starbucks barista if he will PLEASE HAND HER A STRAW. And she's got volume to back it up. Don't let her "Prairie Muffin" look fool you--this chick can get it DONE.

5. She is a financial whiz. I knew when she used the term "realized gain" that she is waaaaay out of my league.

6. We are, in fact, not bottomless pits. I regret to inform you that we could not finish our hot fudge sundae. (Random detail: one of the topping options was carob sauce. Ewwww. Amy said, "What's carob?" I answered with a sneer, "Fake chocolate.")

7. Amy thought my voice was going to be high and squeaky (!!!). Au contraire.

8. Amy and Greg's answering machine is in French. I am not kidding.

9. I needn't have worried that we'd have nothing to say, or about awkward pauses. (Can you say two chatterboxes? I knew you could.)

10. Proverbs 31:16 "She considers a field and buys it..." Um, she really does.

You know how sometimes you build up expectations of someone and then...you're kind of disappointed? That did not happen today. :) She's everything you think she is and more. It was my honor to make her acquaintance.

Amy also wrote about our day. DON'T LISTEN TO HER! That whole "axe" thing was JUST A BIG MISUNDERSTANDING...

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors