Thursday, February 10, 2005

Dave Agrees

I posted the other day about True Love Waits, and some problems I have with the whole paradigm of crusade-like, parachurch 'ministry'. Dave Black writes:

"It doesn't matter how much people focus on getting our youth to pledge their purity as long as we refuse to deal with the more fundamental problems in our 'evangelical' youth culture."

Problems such as: a lack of understanding of the rudimentary teachings of Christianity, ignorance of the "teaching about righteousness" (Hebrews 5:13), and compromise with the world come to mind. Again, I don't blame the kids. I want to search for solutions for them, because the current setup at home, school and church is obviously not working. There is no quick fix. I understand that ministries like True Love Waits can have an impact, and I praise God for all lives that have been changed. But it's not the answer...it's a band-aid at best and, as I said before, a spiritual one-night stand at worst.

What does God say?

Deut 6:6-9
These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

Prov 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Discipleship is SO important! I remember when I was little, praying in a Baptist pastor's home to "receive Christ". Honestly, I'm not sure if I was truly born again at that point or not, but I know that I had very little discipling afterward. The pastor never did it (he was a friend's dad). My parents weren't believers, so I only got spiritual training, piecemeal. So I am of the STRONG opinion (hehe) that a one-time deal is not enough. There MUST be follow-up. Blessings to you, Kristen!

Christie said...

Hi Kristen,

I'm not sure if you have any children or not but I wanted to pass along this resource that is very helpful for relating and working with youth. CPYU helps us study youth culture so we can understand the population we are working with and lead them in truth. www.cpyu.org

blessings,
Christie G.

Blog Archive

Contributors