Monday, February 14, 2005

Labels

I can really appreciate Ambra's State of the Blog Address.

I'm weary of labels because I think they should follow and not precede. You don't have to declare yourself to be anything. Just be 'it', and if 'it' is, people will recognize and call it as such. Only insecure ninnies need to be called something to feel validated in it. Lately, it seems like people are trying to catch up with their descriptors. Instead of just being, they announce.

She's writing primarily about political labels--people calling her (or expecting her to be their exact version of) "conservative" or "Republican."

It's far more important--and it's my goal--to be recognizably Christian, as in "Disciple of Jesus Christ". Anything else you might call me should flow from that primary identity, and by God's grace, will be consistent with that identity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll admit to really wanting a label for myself every now and then...
It just makes things so much easier--you throw a word out and everyone has a basic understanding of your doctrinal positions. But...I've yet to find one that fits me. Maybe it's just because I'm THAT strange...(Shall I start a new sect? The Molly-ites?)...
Harharhar...
No, seriously, there are times I am sooooo glad I am not a part of any particular "camp," and then there are other times when I am incredibly jealous of those who are.
*Moment of True Confession* is now over...

Kristen said...

Okay, okay...me, too. My good friend Robert takes the label of "Pentecostal," and he means it in a very historical, non-flaky, specific sense, but he ALWAYS has to explain exactly what he means by it to people to avoid confusion. Even "easy" labels sometimes are a headache.

But I know what you mean about instantaneous understanding. :) It's fun to talk about what we really believe, though, and perhaps our label-less status helps us think through and be able to articulate what we believe.

Sandra said...

Good points, Kristen. Don't agree completely on all your conclusions, but I am very glad for quotes and links. I'm going to add you to my latest post on this topic.

Good thinking, girl!

Blog Archive

Contributors