Monday, April 04, 2005

Blood and Vapor

What are we that the Lord is mindful of us? What are we?

Oh, how mindful WE should be of HIM!

James 4:13-15
Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.' Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.'

We are just a vapor.

I was riding in the car tonight with my wonderful husband after he took me out to a fancy dinner (what have I done to deserve this? Oh yeah--nothing). Watching the scenery of beautiful Southern California streak by, I played with my hand, touching the veins that are prominent like my mother's. Suddenly, I thought about just how frail our lives are, like a mist, a vapor. My life is in the Lord's hands.

I am overwhelmed just thinking about how many processes have to take place for me to take one breath, for just a liter of blood to flow through my veins, for my pupil to contract, for my eyelid to flutter. So many involuntary functions--by definition out of my control, and de facto out of the realm of my understanding.

Psalm 8
O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory above the heavens.
Out of the mouth of babes and infants,
you have established strength because of your foes,
to still the enemy and the avenger.

When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
and the son of man that you care for him?


Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.
You have given him dominion over the works of your hands;
you have put all things under his feet,
all sheep and oxen,
and also the beasts of the field,
the birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea,
whatever passes along the paths of the seas.
O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!

What am I, that the Lord should put breath in my mouth? That I should live another moment?

I feel so aware tonight of the frailty of man, the frailty of me. Blood is coursing through my veins, and I can't control it; I don't deserve it. By the hand, power and will of God, I live. In Him I live and move and have my being (Acts 17:27-28).

Michael Behe, a scientist at Lehigh University, published Darwin's Black Box several years ago, and in the book he discusses irreducible complexity ("a system composed of several well-matched, interacting parts that contribute to the basic function, wherein the removal of any one of the parts causes the system to effectively cease functioning"). I am no scientist; I am a secretary. But I know from my little AP Bio class in high school that even one cell is one COMPLEX varmint. Remember the mitochondria, the cell's "engine"? Remember golgi, lysosome, endoplasmic reticulum?

Yeah. I don't know what all those things do, but I know that my body is FULL of them. How many billions of cells, all diligently performing their functions, make up just one organ? My whole body?

Psalm 139:13-15
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.

My heart is touched by a God that would hold so many worlds, so many microcosmos, in His hand, and intimately know ALL.

And it all comes down to this...praise, honor and glory are due to the Lamb, Jesus the Christ, Yeshua Meshiach, who made all things.

Col 1:16-18
For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors