Friday, April 22, 2005

Fresh and Salt Water: Cursing

I just read this post from Carla at Reflections of the Times. She makes a wonderful point about profane/vulgar/crude language that reminded me of our discussion the other day about the way we speak to one another.

Carla writes,

"I admit, when I was unsaved, I had a horrid problem with this kind of language. I didn’t know then, it was a problem, everyone I knew spoke the same way – it was normal to me. It was only after I was converted to Christ that this became a sticking point for me."


I could have written that. My speech was liberally peppered with choice words before I met Jesus. But you know what? Almost the INSTANT I was saved--when I "got it"--I knew by the Holy Spirit that I could no longer speak as I did before. It was part of the New Creature: no more fornication. No more cursing. No more drugs. No more lying. No more pro-choice activism (yes, the Holy Spirit spoke that to me right away).

I didn't have fifty scriptures for all those things; I just knew. It was a JOY to give up those things and embrace the purity and cleansing that was mine in and because of Jesus.

Sorry if this seems too blunt, but anyone who thinks they can curse without repentance needs to check his spiritual pulse.

I won't reinvent the wheel, because Carla's post is excellent.

James 3:9-12
With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Blog Archive

Contributors